The Jurong Bird Park is the largest and one of the best bird zoos in the world. It features 5,000 birds of 380 different species. Children and nature lovers will especially love this place. The park occupies an untouched piece of a tropical rainforest and has almost two kilometers of trails that allow seeing up close all the species – from pelicans to penguins. The park has magnificent birds from all over the world, some of them in danger of extinction.
To move around you can use an electric train, but it is not included in the price of the entrance.
The birds are grouped in different thematic enclosures. There are small cages, gigantic aviaries and outdoor areas. On the map that you get on the entrance to the park you can consult the distribution of different species.
- African Waterfall Aviary. It is the most impressive aviary, inside which there is a waterfall. More than 1,500 birds of 50 different species fly freely in the largest aviary in the world.
- Lory Loft. It is the most popular aviary which contains species of Australian parrots that can be fed with a special preparation available for sale. The fun is guaranteed in this very pretty aviary, with a system of raising walkways and the natural ambient sound provided by the parrots singing incessantly.
- Flightless Birds. Cassowaries, ostriches and emus. Birds that do not fly also have their corner in the park.
- World of Darkness. A quiet nocturnal walk illuminated by the stars allows to get acquainted with different birds that hide from the daylight, like the owls and the nocturnal herons.
- Throughout the day there are a number of shows and activities in the park that are worth seeing. The schedule of activities is given at the park entrance. It allows you to find out what is happening and where.
- Kings of the Skies Show. It is a show of falconry in which you can see hawks, eagles, owls and vultures. The first show takes place at 10 o’clock in the morning (it is repeated at 5 o’clock in the afternoon) in the Hawk Walk.
- Birds’ n’ Buddies. It is a show with many species of birds that is especially popular among the little ones. The show starts at 11 a.m. (and repeats at 3 p.m.) in the Pool Amphitheatre.
Throughout the day the birds are being fed and you can participate in this activity. Probably, feeding pelicans will impress you a lot.
How to Get to the Jurong Bird Park
The easiest way to get to the park is using public transport. Take the green metro line in the direction of Joo Koon and get off at the Boon Lay station. Exit the metro station and follow the arrows that indicate the way to the bus station. And once you are there look for the stops of bus number 194 or 251. Its first stop (about a ten-minute ride from the bus station) is right in front of the park.
The entrance fee for adults is 18SGD and 12SGD for children (3-12 years old).
The Jurong Bird Park offers a very pleasant environment to meet birds from all over the world and is especially recommended to those who are traveling with children or if you are a bird lover. If you do not have much time to spend in the city, it is more interesting to visit the Zoo, where you can see a great variety of animals and also some birds.